Harmful Effects of Mold Damage and How You Should Deal With It

Mold Damage

Mold Damage in Salt Lake CityWhen is the last time you had that annoying leak checked out? Turns out, those leaks do not just add up to your monthly utility bills, but they could also be the reason behind the respiratory illnesses.

Mold damage occurs as a result of excess moisture, which is why you should consult a company in Salt Lake City specializing in mold damage. This could be due to damaged roofs leaking when it rains, leaking pipes or a rising damp in the basement. Excess moisture indoors can also occur as a result of condensation or water left behind after construction.

Here are some health problems associated with moldy conditions:

Respiratory problems

People living in damp conditions often complain of respiratory problems such as asthma. This is not only caused by moisture in the air, but also the fungi and the bacteria that thrives in a moist environment. The fungi lands on moist surfaces or just floats around. In addition, a moist house attracts allergens such as rats and cockroaches. Their waste material has been known to trigger asthma.

Dust mites also love moist environments and they trigger sneezing, itchy eyes and various respiratory problems. Using an air conditioner dehumidifies the air as it cools it as well, hence reducing humidity which provides a breeding ground for the dust mites.

Eczema

Research shows that micro-organisms found in damp air can do more harm than cause respiratory problems. Some studies found a link between those living in damp houses and the occurrence of various skin conditions like eczema. The risk increased among children and those already suffering from eczema had worse breakouts. Significant improvement was witnessed with those that fixed the damp problems.

Fever

Children living in damp conditions are likely to suffer from problems associated with fever, with symptoms such as pains, aches, high temperatures and blocked noses. Depending on the level of the damp, some people are more sensitive than others. People with a weakened immune system, those with respiratory issues such as asthma, those with skin problems, the elderly and babies are more prone to this and should stay away from the damp.

If you have excess moisture in your home, it is important to find out the cause immediately. This ensures that you get the right professional to repair the leaks and remove mold, as you’ll only be able to remove only a fraction of it. It’s the only way to protect your family from the health hazards caused by mold.